Ultimate Emergency Power Checklist
It is difficult to anticipate a catastrophic event, but in the event of a disaster or as we're seeing lately, a pandemic, it is important to be as best prepared as you can. Especially when it comes to having a solid emergency power supply. With the uncertainty of the world today, grid failure can result in a loss of electricity and total inability to power the things that you need to survive.
In a disaster situation, emergency power is required to run a fridge or cooler, lights, a fan, communication devices, a CPAP machine, and more.
Emergency Power Kits And Supplies: Being Prepared with the Right Equipment
Although the power grid is susceptible to temporary blackouts during storms or heavy winds, global pandemics, hurricanes, flooding, fires and other disaster situations can lead to a lack of electricity for multiple days or weeks on end.
For this reason it is important to have a portable, renewable, clean, indoor source of power. Maintaining electricity can save lives and certainly makes it easier to recover from an emergency situation.
Essential Emergency Power Supplies
- A Solar Powered Generator
- Solar Panels (Or a solar panel kit)
- Batteries & Chargers
Emergency Power Solar Generators
As a backup, many households have gas powered generators to generate electricity during a blackout. Although these can work in a pinch, Solar powered generators are a far superior option.
Gas generators are loud, produce toxic gases, and are very expensive to maintain. Solar powered generators are much quieter, can be used safely indoors, and run on the most abundant renewable resource available: sunlight. Owning a solar powered generator is the perfect way to store and use emergency power.
If you’re interested in a solar powered generator, we strongly recommend you check out one of the following products:
- The Titan Solar Generator - The Titan is a one of the highest powered solar generators on the planet. The massive 3000 watt inverter makes it possible to power everything in your home including refrigerators, washing machines, water pumps and more. The system is built in a way so that extra batteries can be easily added for an increased storage capacity.
- The EcoFlow Delta - The EcoFlow Delta is another great solar generator fully capable of powering your life saving devices. In the event that you need to bring emergency power to another place, the EcoFlow Delta is perfect because it is lightweight, portable, and charges to full battery capacity in as little as 2 hours while plugged into a standard AC wall outlet.
- The RockPals Solar Generators - RockPals makes a line high quality, affordable solar generators in the $250-$600 range that make for the perfect emergency power supply. Especially if you're looking for some that's very portable and easy to move around.
Solar Panels for Emergency Power Supply
Of course, if you are looking to harness and store solar energy with a solar generator, you will need solar panels in order to do so. In an emergency situation, it is best to have a high efficiency solar panel set-up in order to generate the most electricity possible.
- Renogy 100 Watt Eclipse Mono Solar Suitcase. This “solar suitcase” comes with 100 watts of high efficiency, long lasting solar power production. It is foldable and comes with a handle and support stand for easy portability and installation. The Renogy Solar Suitcase works great alongside a generator such as the Bluetti as a high powered, portable solar solution.
- SunGold 200 Watt Solar Kit - If you are looking to install a permanent backup system on the roof of your home, RV, or van, this kit from SunGold is perfect, even as a beginner. The kit comes with a charge controller and installation materials, so all you will need to finish your power system would be a battery and inverter.
- RockPals 100 Watt Solar Suitcase (Blanket) - The Rockpals 100 watt folding solar panel (solar blanket) works with almost every solar generator on the market - Jackery, Goal Zero, Inergy, EcoFlow you name it! It includes all of the adapters/connectors needed to charge these different types of solar generators as well so if you already have an emergency power supply that accepts solar, this would be the perfect fit.
If you are looking for an all-in-one plug and play package, there are a few great bundles you can purchase for permanent or mobile solar installations. We highly recommend the Inergy Apex Gold Flexible Solar Panel Kit. This solar panel and solar generator kit is perfect for a quick setup on the go The Inergy Apex is a high performing solar generator built to last over 2,000 full battery cycles. The five 100 Watt flexible solar panels are lightweight and make for a quick installation on any surface from your backyard to the roof of your car.
Batteries and Chargers for Emergency Power Supply
If you live in an area that is susceptible to natural disasters, it is always a good idea to have backup sources of power ready to backup your life saving communication devices such as cell phones or radios. Here are a few great portable backup batteries:
- Lion Energy Cub Go 120 wH - this lithium battery is as small as a wallet, but contains two USB outlets, a full size AC wall outlet, and a 12 Volt DC outlet. With so many options, you will be able to power your electronic devices, lamps, or anything other small devices. As a bonus, the system maintains its charge for an entire year, so that it can be used whenever emergency power is needed unexpectedly.
- Lion Energy Cub JC - Perhaps your electronics are not the only thing that need charged, what about your vehicle? If you are stranded with your car, truck, or motorcycle the Lion Energy Cub JC is a perfect source of emergency power that can jump start most vehicles. The system also has built in USB ports for charging smaller devices.
Lighting for Emergency Situations
Obviously, a flashlight is one of the most essential emergency backup items. If the sun is down or you are indoors, being able to see where you are going and what you are doing is the first step to surviving an emergency situation. Here are a few unique lighting solutions that you will be thankful for when you need emergency power.
Ultimately, by having a backup source of power, you will be more prepared in an emergency situation With modern technology, solar panels and solar power generators are a few of the best ways to utilize clean, renewable energy for prolonged periods of time. We hope this article was helpful to you in choosing the best products for your emergency power backup systems.